Monday, October 22, 2012

I WALK BESIDE AN EXECUTIVE


I am just a simple girl with a simple face, simple life, simple traits, that’s all – everything about me is simple but there are things that make these simple things extraordinary, or more appropriately, worthy. 

I am studying to become a teacher someday. It is hard. Really hard. I guess all courses are, but being a teacher has an extra credit. 

Once, in my elementary, I told myself I’m not going back to school anymore once I finished my studies. But fate is playful. I never realized that in the end, I’m going to stay in a school… as a teacher… if, I pass the Licensure Examination for Teacher (LET). 

+++ 

The subject of today’s story deals with what happened to me in my University. 

I am a nineteen-year-old junior student is the Philippine Normal University now. As I have mentioned above, I live a simple life. I am a typical student. Unruly sometimes, diligent sometimes, sleepy sometimes, active sometimes, lazy most of the times -- until one day, the Executive Directress of the University called me. 

Mobile phone rings… 

Me: Hallo? 

Executive Directress: JK, is this you? 

Me: Yes, madam. 

Executive Director (let’s call her ED, I’m tired of pasting. Laughs.) : Would you mind replacing me and become the next Directress? 

Me (Sophistically drinking the liquid in my goblet): Absolutely yes, I would, Elena. 

+++ 

Cut! That’s a joke. She called to inform me that she wants me to be her Student Assistant. 

A student assistant is, well, let us say, er, not a very easy and proud task -- more of Batman’s sidekick, Robin-thingy. I’m her typist, I’m her recorder for everything, I carry her bag, I send her errands, etc. That’s me, the great student assistant. 

But did I accept it? Of course, I did. 

And that extended my hours in school… 

+++ 

4:00 PM. 

Normally, I’d be galloping for home. I said galloping because going home (in my case, going home to the dormitory) is a stress-relieving thought. But that changed. 

Now, every afternoon, instead of galloping back I dutifully go straight to her office and do some office works. I stay from 4:00-6:00 PM depending on what she wants. 

Now, instead of walking home alone, I walk beside her and when students greet and bow to her, it feels funny because I feel like they are greeting and bowing for me, too. But of course, I always hide my giggle. 

Every hour stay, I’ll get 25 pesos ($ 0.61). At best, I can get 800 pesos ($ 19.51) per month. I know it’s kind of small but, in the Philippines, it’s a great help. And staying at her office gives me lots of insights. 

+++ 

Honestly, many acquaintances admire me for having the guts of working for her. Some say I am brave, some say I am brave and many say I am brave. Yeah. Your conclusion is true. Many students are afraid of my boss. 

I will be lying if I’ll say that I was never afraid of her. At first, my knees shake in her presence, I was always afraid every time she commands me, wishing that the time ticks faster. 

But that was ‘AT FIRST’. Because AT LAST, I learned that my boss is not what I thought she was. 

I won’t say that she is kind as a saint but she’s human. She knows how to laugh, knows how to crack jokes, and knows how to hum. It’s just so funny that people in high positions are thought to be stiff as rocks. 

I became at ease with her presence. But most of all, I learned many lessons. 

It is always better to ask questions if you don’t know how to do something. Don’t be afraid that it will make you sound ignorant because it is more shameful to be a smart-ass. 

Sorry may only be a word but it is a word that says you know you’re wrong. 

Simple things, yet I know will guide me somehow, somewhere. 

In the near future, the record that I served in the Executive Directress’ Office may be of small help for my transcript but it feels so nice to know that when I’ll practice my vocation, I’ll be proud to say that once, I walked beside an Executive.

No comments:

Post a Comment