Friday, September 14, 2012

The Night I Slept With Death




I was listening to my heartbeat one night when I noticed that it was so fast. I realized that every beat of it is very important. I feared that one day it will stop. I feared death to come and I feared the day that I have to leave my beloved. I fear the day that I will never feel anything, like fear, again.

Fear strikes anyone and the fear of death is crippling. As Dan Brown has said, fear cripples faster than any implement of war.

Fear has inspired me to write this poem. I don't want any spoiler so I won't describe. Enjoy!

+++


THE NIGHT I SLEPT WITH DEATH

I couldn’t pretend that all is right
When I know that I’m burning inside
I opened her door and stayed by her side
And wrapped myself in her cozy sight

But still suffocating, the cold fire is eating my heart
Wondering, I touched her warm body and fed my love
And set aside the unknown worry that gnaws at the dark
And held back the tears pushed by something very hard

If I die tonight, I thought with fear
Shall she be able to bear the tears
That in her soft, weak heart, soon will well
And in this bright past, will she still dwell?

So I kissed her eyes and slumbered the night
And thought of the next day that will be bright
And listened on my heart that drums with a thud
But was shocked as the thud became a deathly march

So my heart had stopped beating, alone now she will be
No more arms to embrace her, no more mouth she will feed
With tender butterfly kisses and hugs full of peace
Alone in the house, my lovely little wife she will be

And the morning has come, and so I shall go
Alone without a heart, to wonder I’ll go
But to my fearful surprise, tears began to flow
For I slept in her bosom—alone now she will go…


2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful! Like Emily Dickinson! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are like Mark Twain! :D And you are so handsome! :D

    ReplyDelete